PaperbookPrincess

PaperbookPrincess

Lichgates - S.M. Boyce So I got this book from Netgalley because the synopsis sounded really interesting… and boy was I NOT disappointed! Lichgates is the first book in S.M Boyce’s The Grimoire Trilogy, and we first meet Kara who is almost immediately thrown into a different world when she unknowingly travels through a Lichgate (which is like a portal type thing) and finds herself in Ourea, and into a library without an exit. While in the library she comes across a book with a red cover, when she opens this book, she becomes the most feared but most powerful and wanted being in all of Ourea. It also makes her a target for evil. I think that although for the first few chapters Kara honestly thought she was dreaming (I mean seriously who wouldn’t?) once she realized that this was no dream she actually dealt with it really well, there were times I thought for sure she was going to have a total breakdown, yet she was able to hold herself together and face whatever came her way with sarcasm and strength. It probably helps Kara that she has found a friend in Breaden who is hiding a secret that would ruin everything he has tried to create for himself for over a decade. Breaden is also very protective of Kara, but he has some major baggage, the main thing being the fact that he is the missing heir of the most evil group of beings in all of Ourea. So yes Breaden has a bit of baggage to deal with… but so does Kara, she recently lost her mother in a car accident and she blames herself for it… then her father whom even in the few pages he was in I found to be a very caring and protective father. Throughout the book Kara and Breaden’s relationship grows, and I spent so much time hoping and waiting for the romance to kick into high gear… however although there were plenty of sparks throughout most of the book it was all very platonic… but by the end of the book it was starting to switch gears just a little bit. Also by the end of the book, through all the adventures that Kara has already had to endure she is becoming a very strong character who doesn’t back down from the royalty she meets in the 3 kingdoms. I think what I loved the most about this book is the fact that S.M. Boyce was able to allow Kara and Breaden to travel between worlds so seamlessly, it wasn’t the slightest bit confusing, we are even told what the humans see when beings just appear in the middle of the forest on horses and dogs. Overall this was a fantastic first book in the series, it answered many of the questions I had throughout the book, but left just enough to make me want to read the second book to see what happens (I am so waiting for Kara and Breaden to start a more romantic relationship) I know this is a fantasy novel, but throughout the book I just get the feeling that somehow them being together is going to be essential. I am so glad that I came across this book on Netgalley!