PaperbookPrincess

PaperbookPrincess

Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) - Rachel Hartman I got this book from Netgalley, and I was so excited to read it because the cover is so amazing and the story sounded fantastic! I mean really? Dragons? Pretty cool! However, once I started reading the book… I will be quite honest I was sort of let down a little. The first half of the book was so boring that there was many times that I almost though I wasn’t going to be able to finish it… but I HATE not finishing a book so I kept going… During the second part of the book it finally started to really catch my interest, we finally were able to get beyond the fact that Seraphina was half-dragon and a major outcast. She finally had friends in Princess Glisselda and Prince Lucian Kiggs. I really liked Glisselda, she was a princess and she would occasionally act like it… but when it really mattered, it was easy to tell that she would make an awesome Queen someday. Then there was Prince Lucian Kiggs, I honestly wasn’t sure what to make of him, he works really hard to prove his parentage does not matter, and he seems genuinely kind… he is also obviously perfect for Seraphina… however I just couldn’t love him like I normally do in most books. It was almost as if he was too perfect? And Seraphina, she was actually a very interesting character, she had so many secrets that she was trying to keep, and she also never truly understood the depth of love the people around her actually had for her. It was interesting to see her grow from the shy music assistant in the beginning of the book, into a girl who faces down dragons to protect those she loves. Overall, this was an ok book, I think although the beginning of the book was not very interesting, in the end it made sense that it was required to provide the detail and insight for the rest of the series, I am very excited for the next book in the series, because I think with the background knowledge provided to us already the rest of this series is set to be fantastic!