PaperbookPrincess

PaperbookPrincess

Taste - Kate Evangelista Synopsis:At Barinkoff Academy, there's only one rule: no students on campus after curfew. Phoenix McKay soon finds out why when she is left behind at sunset. A group calling themselves night students threaten to taste her flesh until she is saved by a mysterious, alluring boy. With his pale skin, dark eyes, and mesmerizing voice, Demitri is both irresistible and impenetrable. He warns her to stay away from his dangerous world of flesh eaters. Unfortunately, the gorgeous and playful Luka has other plans. When Phoenix is caught between her physical and her emotional attraction, she becomes the keeper of a deadly secret that will rock the foundations of an ancient civilization living beneath Barinkoff Academy. Phoenix doesn't realize until it is too late that the closer she gets to both Demitri and Luka the more she is plunging them all into a centuries old feud.First Thoughts:Before I started reading this book I was already curious about what type of ‘beings’ the characters would be simply because the synopsis doesn’t come out and say ‘Vampire’ or ‘Witch’ or anything… so that right there had be convinced it was a must read.The Main Character:Phoenix, she is an interesting character… and I am honestly not to sure if I am a fan. She seems like a spoiled rich kid, which she actually is. But she has had some hardships in her life which have made her a bit of a rebellion which is cool because she definitely doesn’t hold back what she is thinking, even if it would be in her best interests to do so, and she also has some serious Daddy issues that she has to deal with. Love is in the Air:Demitri – Is it just me, or do the ‘Demitri’ characters always get the girl? OK so maybe I am a bit of a Vampire Academy junkie… but regardless… this Demitri is just a hunky in my opinion, with the hard shell and soft inside that makes all girls want to swoon at his feet (or is that just me again?) Basically he is your typical good guy tying to protect the girl.Luka – I loved Luka! If I had to pick between these to guys, well I would pick Luka hands down! He was just the rebel, he didn’t care what people thought of him he was going to do what he wanted. In the end it makes sense that he wouldn’t care because of who he is but yea blonde hair blue eyes with a rebellious streak? *sigh* what’s not to love?Ending:Cliffhanger… of course! I really don’t expect much else from awesome books except a cliff hanger… but that’s ok, there was a lot that got wrapped up in this book which made me happy, but there was also A LOT that I want to know more about! Final Thoughts:Overall I thought this was a fantastic debut book, it introduced us to some fascinating elements that aren’t generally done (no vampires or witches or werewolves!) So this book is definitely a change. My only problem with it, is that it kept reminding me of other books that I have read, not identical to the other books but just certain elements throughout the book had me thinking back to recent reads and comparing them… and although this book definitely held its own I would have appreciated it a bit more if it had more originality to it as well.