PaperbookPrincess

PaperbookPrincess

Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1) - Anne Greenwood Brown I am going to start out by saying that I love this new trend in books… I have seen a lot of books either out or coming out soon that involve mermaids or some other type of character from mythology… I love my vampires and witches just as much as the next person… but it’s a good change to have a different type of creature in the stories I read.That being said, this book was a little disappointing. I think that it had a great storyline, I love that mermaids weren’t good but they were basically evil monsters. But the main character was male!I don’t know why that was such a big deal, the main character is a guy so what?! But I just couldn’t get into the story because of it. Towards the end of the book it did get a little much better but I think that was mainly because we got to focus more on Lily, rather then focus on Calder.Don’t get me wrong, I totally LOVED Calder; he had the potential to be book boyfriend material. But I just couldn’t connect to him, which meant I could not lose myself in the story. For the first half of the book I was literally FIGHTING with myself to read it, because I hate not finishing a book. The last half of the book was much better and I finally found myself getting caught up in the story, but then I hit the last page… the last sentence… and my first though was… I finally finished this book after two weeks of fighting with it, and THIS is how it ends?So overall, it was a decent book but definitely not my favorite book. I do see there is a second book in the series, and it will be told from Lily’s perspective, so I think I would be interested in checking it out, I don’t want to give up on the series it's just the main character being a guy really through the whole book off for me. But kudos to Anne Greenwood Brown, for going in the opposite direction from most authors with the male lead as well as a topic that is just starting to be explored.